Tuesday, October 29, 2019

SEPTEMBER 9, 2019 -- El Paso Strong 💪

Hello Everyone! 

What a wild week it has been! I left the MTC last Monday and made it safely to Albuquerque, New Mexico!

I love it down here! It's so hot and dry out here! It's something I will definitely have to get used too! I saw my first wild cactus and succulents! It's so fun looking out the window and seeing all the fun plants that we don't have in Missouri!

I spent the first two nights in the Mission home! I love President and Sister Weathersby! They are so cool! September 4, Wednesday Morning was when President officially announced where the greenies (newly arrived missionaries) would be transferred. It was a long two and a half waiting and thinking of all the places I would be able to serve. 

That morning I found out that I would be serving in the El Paso 8th ward! How fun! I have never been to Texas before and it has definitely been a treat! That same morning I packed my stuff on a truck and took a four hour drive down to the West Texas town of El Paso! It was different looking out of the window and seeing nothing but dirt and sand. I am used to green grass and trees everywhere! It was a long trip but it I traveled down with three other super cool sisters! It was super fun getting to know them and growing a friendship with them! 

Once we made it to El Paso, we dropped our stuff off and went out knocking! That night I am found my very first new! (A new is someone who wants to learn more about the Gospel of Christ. You have to teach one principle, extend a commitment, and make a return appointment) I found him and started talking all by myself! It's great that I am not shy around new people! I love talking to people. Even though I have been out for one week, I have grown to love sharing the gospel and to not let someone pass by without trying to talk to them.

Later that night we went to Walmart to pick up some food and things we need for the rest of the week. We had checked out and started walking out of Walmart when my companion Sister Worlton asked why that jar of jam wasn't in a sack. I STOLE ON MY 1ST DAY IN THE MISSION FIELD.😱 Of course I went back in and paid for it, but it was super embarrassing and so fun walking back in with a jar of jam and paying for it.

Oh my goodness there are so many dogs in El Paso. For those who do not know, I am afraid and allergic to dogs/animals. We will be walking down the street and huge pit bulls and I mean huge dogs will be jumping to see over the six foot tall stone fences around the yard. That's another thing I will have to get used too. All of the dogs. 

Also there are ice cream trucks in literally every single neighborhood we are in. I have not bought an ice cream yet but when there is a day when ward members don't give us dessert, I will buy an ice cream! 

I gave a talk on my first Sunday in the field. It's true the newbies will speak or at least bare their testimony! BEWARE!

Since El Paso is the furthest South in the mission there are a lot of Spanish speakers down here. We are learning Spanish, or at least trying to. But I am so excited to be able to speak a little to the people I will be meeting! There are nine companionships in the El Paso area and only two of them are English speaking. Wish me luck while learning! Hopefully I will be able to learn what I need to! Pray that I will be able to receive the gift of tongues!

Scripture of the week! 
(If you saw my Facebook post you already know)

3 Nephi 5:13
Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare with word among his people, that they might have everlasting life.

Even though I have been out for one week, I have seen the hand of God in my life and I have seen the Spirit work through me. I can not wait to find more people to teach and to share the gospel to the people of El Paso, Texas! 

Pray that I will receive the gift of tongues and that my fear of dogs will slowly fade away!

I love you all and you are all in my prayers! Good luck with school and all of your endeavors!

Love, 
Sister (soon to be Hermana) Susanna Tracy 

1. Right outside of the airport! Meeting President and Sister Weathersby for the first time!



2. Mexico and the Border! Driving on the highway in El Paso and you can see right into Mexico!

3.Sister Risenmay and me with the Albuquerque temple behind us!



4. There are ice cream trucks EVERYWHERE 


5. My first weekly planning and I could hang any longer! I tried to stay awake but I couldn't! I am in a trio, Sister Worlton in the middle and Sister Willson on the right!







No comments:

Post a Comment